Dunsford v Erratics Cricket Club Erratics on Sat 01 Oct 2011 at Unknown
Erratics Cricket Club Won by 114 runs

Match report Jonathan Kirby

For the record, this might have been 1st October but it was one of the hottest days of the year. Strong sunshine also meant application of plenty of sun cream - and thanks to those who'd had the wisdom to bring their own and the kindess to share. For all the glory of the weather, the day was nonetheless bound to be short. The first ball was bowled at 1:45pm, tea would be taken at 4:00pm, the restart at 4:30pm and the final 20 overs would be counted from 5:15pm. With hindsight, it could be argued that the captains didn't leave enough time for the side batting second, though that turned out not to be decisive.

Martin Sharland won the toss for Dunsford and chose to field first, having told his opposite number that Dunsford had recently scored in excess of 200 for just 3 wickets. Although there was still dew on the shaded boundary area under the trees by the river, the sunshine of the previous few days meant that the ground was reasonably hard and dry and runs could be expected.

The Erratics did not disappoint. Forrester and Hailwood started steadily against some tight and naggingly accurate bowling. With a sold base established, Forrester was undone by one that nipped back in on him. This brought Molins to the crease and with him the acceleration that comes with his flamboyancy. This was brought to an end by a quite brilliant piece of leg-side stumping, but even so, with Ferro coming to the crease, momentum was with the Erratics.

Hailwood eventually departed after a steady 21. Kirby joined Ferro and the running began. Singles were turned into 2s, 2s were turned into 3s, to the dismay of the Dunsford fielders one of whom was heard to mutter "that's taking the p**s" after quick scampering secured another run. Kirby and Ferro combined for a stand of some 70 runs, most of which were actually run as only 3 or 4 boundaries were scored in that time. "Warming up for the indoor season" commented watching Erratics, apparently. The heat eventually took its toll and when he could run no more Kirby holed out to mid on.

That's where the running stopped, though not the runs. Matt Cook joined Ferro in the middle and proceeded to clatter a quick-fire 31 that included three 4s and two massive 6s before departing to a catch - the ball coming down with the proverbial snow on it. It was precisely the increase in run-rate that was needed as the innings was drawing to a close, with plenty of wickets still in hand.

Ferro took over the big hitting before missing one completely and going for 46. Mark Phillips achieved a strike rate of 150% off the 2 balls he faced and Daniel Thistlethwaite wasted no time with 100% from the last ball of the innings. The total was 180, exactly what Matt Cook had predicted over an hour earlier. Would it be enough, against this free-scoring Dunsford team?

It would prove to be more than enough, not least because Dunsford's captain and opening batsman had fallen awkwardly early in the Erratics' innings and eventually departed for hospital with a suspected broken hand. He was in considerable pain, and we hope the injury doesn't prove too serious.

In spite of the loss of their captain, Dunsford started well with boundaries coming easily in the opening overs bowled. Haynes did for the batsman responsible with a slower ball (please note the irony - Ed) whereupon the runs dried up.

James Burrows bowled tightly, getting 2 wickets for just 16 runs from 11 overs. Haynes, Molins and Hailwood wheeled away in turn at the opposite end, with the ball looping out of the low sun towards the batsmen, but it was a devastating spell of 3 overs from Gareth Oughton that ripped the heart out of the Dunsford innings. Just one run came from those overs, and that was a wide. Oughton was twice on a hat-trick (and twice failed to get one!)

A quick moment of praise for Harry Molins who was a Dunsford man for the day. He prevented one of Oughton's potential hat-tricks and had bowled well earlier in the day: 4 overs for just 15 runs.

Carruthers provided a sting in Dunsford's tail with 29 not out, included a number of beautifully timed boundaries swept behind square or lofted over mid-wicket. But there were still 9 overs remaining when his partner fell and any serious hope of batting out for a draw had probably disappeared a while before that.

A word of thanks to Jan Heaton who took on umpiring duties for the whole game and executed them with friendly, calm efficiency. Thanks also to the Dunsford team, whose beautiful ground we share, who provided a great tea and who were such great sports. And fingers crossed for Martin Sharland... Hmm, maybe that's not quite the right expression to use, but you know what I mean.

Erratics Cricket Club Erratics Batting
Player Name RunsMB4s6sSRCtStRo
1nb 5w 11b 2lb 
for 6 wickets

(40.0 overs)
Andrew Forrester Bowled  10
Mark Hailwood Lbw  21
Paul Molins Stumped  11
Chris Ferro Bowled  46
Jonathan Kirby Caught  39
Matt Cook Caught  31
Mark Phillips Not Out  3
Daniel Thistlethwaite Not Out  0
Jeff Haynes  
James Burrows  
Gareth Oughton  

Dunsford Bowling

Player nameOversMaidensRunsWicketsAverageEconomy
No records to display.

Dunsford Batting
Player name RMB4s6sSR
1w 2b 1lb 
for 9 wickets
66 (24.1 overs)

Erratics Cricket Club Erratics Bowling

Player NameOversMaidensRunsWicketsAverageEconomy
James Burrows9.151628.001.75
Jeff Haynes7.0132132.004.57
Paul Molins3.01818.002.67
Gareth Oughton3.02515.001.67
Mark Hailwood2.00600.003.00